Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• login problem

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

What I mean is -- we cannot fix issues if we cannot trigger them ourselves. We need a consistent set of reproduction steps (e.g. "go to this page, log in, press enter, navigate to this page, post.") in order to confirm that this is a bug and develop a fix. Otherwise if we cannot reproduce it, then it may be a configuration problem with your install, and we cannot fix that for you.

• Message of the Day (MOTD)

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    g0stG

It has been added back to the main template in Persona https://community.nodebb.org/topic/8790/categories-tpl-category-tpl-topics-tpl-and-motd-in-persona

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    L

actually, derp, nevermind, i see https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/4669 already takes care of this

• NodeBB and File Permissions across the system

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    Z

Prelude: Last year, ran nodeBB under a root user just fine. many months later, system crashed and had to wipe the server. This time on installation, on a new server, ran into various errors. Was told not to run nodeBB under the root user, so --

Creating a new user, and pulling and installing a different instance of nodeBB I am now running into errors with npm install (even using the global command) and generally overall.

Is this still due to file permission issues regarding the first time setting up nodeBB on the new server? Or is something else to blame?

When utilizing nodeBB on the new user, npm gives errors such as not finding modules (even tried removing node_modules directory and doing npm -g install), and when I do get the npm install to not crash, running any ./nodebb command still gives errors.

Does anyone know the issue at hand? I'm thinking of wiping the server, and giving it one more try via not using root from the start to see if the errors can be avoided altogether - if not I may just move on to a different forum system.

Thanks in advance!

• Missing icons / broken CSS

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    P

@paviro said in Missing icons / broken CSS:

How is it that only some of the default skins actually work? 😕

Obviously not all skins are tested with persona.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

If you're interested in tackling this issue, note that the UglifyJS version we use may not produce working source maps.

The source map also has to be able to access libraries from node_modules/, so that's another complication.

• Why access to REST API "not-authorized" ?

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    5k Views
    julianJ

The write api actually provides the authentication mechanism, so you can file it against that repo.

• Changing Widget Panel Header Color

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    tqwhiteT

And, as an admittedly snarky aside, while you're tuning up your custom CSS, add this:

.alert-window{ bottom:60vh; right:40vw; }

So that the error and alert window is in the middle of the page and noticeable to your clientele. It's normal position at the bottom right used to cause me fits. By the time you had scanned the page to find it, it fades away.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    C

Just found this tool and everything has been easy and smooth to install but...

But how do I replace the upload path with the s3 base url instead of the the site.
    I know the plugin is working as I can see the files hitting my s3 bucket.

Many thanks --

Casey

• How can i update my persona theme

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    N

@yariplus Thanks !

• Changing categories order

1 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    N

@exodo oh, I tried to drag the names, now realised I needed to drag the image.. Thank you 😄

• 0 Votes
    13 Posts
    7k Views
    SergioNGS

Final update, it worked on the production server!! so now our forum is working properly sending emails the Linux way on a Windows Server OS, quite nice I would say, just as a side note our forum is actually really small in number of users, as it is an internal forum, so I can't assure this setup will work out to other forum's expectations or needs, also I would like to add that this shouldn't be the way to do it on Windows as it is kind of a weird way to handle it so in later versions it would be nice to see it reworked or polished for Windows environments (especially because it looks like the program used to simulate sendmail on Windows is no longer receiving maintenance).

• Reorder Social Login Icons on Login Page

Solved
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

😆 @pichalite Thanks for the quick save 😄

• Make lavenders avatar a circle

Moved
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    A

This is what I mean, it stays as a square despite putting the css you gave me

• Persona: display full name instead of username

Moved
    1 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    mechanixM

Found it 🙂

Link Preview Image nodebb-theme-persona/templates/partials/topic/post.tpl at master · NodeBB/nodebb-theme-persona

Persona - A modern and responsive NodeBB theme. Contribute to NodeBB/nodebb-theme-persona development by creating an account on GitHub.

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

change that line to...

<a href="<!-- IF posts.user.userslug -->{config.relative_path}/user/{posts.user.userslug}<!-- ELSE -->#<!-- ENDIF posts.user.userslug -->" itemprop="author" data-username="{posts.user.username}" data-uid="{posts.user.uid}">{posts.user.fullname}</a>

Full Name is an optional field so not everybody updates it in their profile. You might want to check if it's available before displaying it.

<a href="<!-- IF posts.user.userslug -->{config.relative_path}/user/{posts.user.userslug}<!-- ELSE -->#<!-- ENDIF posts.user.userslug -->" itemprop="author" data-username="{posts.user.username}" data-uid="{posts.user.uid}"><!-- IF posts.user.fullname -->{posts.user.fullname}<!-- ELSE -->{posts.user.username}<!-- ENDIF posts.user.fullname --></a>
  • NodeBB on Uberspace

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    Z

Dear all,

as the topic title states I am trying to run a NodeBB forum on the shared hoster Uberspace. I am following the fairly recent guide from Til Zöller. It works fine until I change the user registration to "Admin Invite". Once a user tries to register he gets a registration error with the message

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN"> <html><head> <title>502 Proxy Error</title> </head><body> <h1>Proxy Error</h1> <p>The proxy server received an invalid
    response from an upstream server.<br />
    The proxy server could not handle the request <em><a href="/register">POST /register</a></em>.<p> Reason: <strong>Error reading from remote server</strong></p></p> <hr> <address>Apache/2.2.15 (CentOS) Server at xxx.xxx.uberspace.de Port 80</address> </body></html>

Any help would be highly appreciated.

• How to customize alert messages?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    KD PuvvadiK

Thanks mate

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    KD PuvvadiK

yes, i've saved it . but problem still exist, some times shows invalid client id, sometime invalid session id

• Duplicated topic title

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    S

Hi there,

I have this problem of duplicated title, see image below:
    0_1463568546431_Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 6.47.14 PM.png

How do I remove the duplicated topic title?

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts