Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Error Starting NodeBB

1 Votes
    20 Posts
    6k Views
    mechanixM

Pardon me, my mistake. The icon set wasnt active in the dasshboard

• Sitemap Error!

Solved
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    3k Views
    P

Thanks. This has been fixed in the latest NodeBB core

• Infinite loop

Unsolved
    1 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    Ben LubarB

Ok, time for an update. The iframely problem was definitely one of the causes, but we're still getting occasional lock-ups. Nowhere near as bad as before, but the site still goes down a few times a day. We have a topic where we track manual restarts, but the data doesn't really show any pattern other than that the infinite loop is happening during times when a lot of pages are loaded.

• Keeps crashing periodically

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    LukeLaupheimerL

Hi guys, the NodeBB installation I have keeps crashing periodically. When it does it throws this error:

5/6 18:47 [310] - error: /sitemap/pages.xml undefined
  • Email configuration using local Postfix

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    L

As of version 1.0.0 NodeBB has by default enabled sendmail transport plugin. So it's enough to make available "sendmail" command in your system.

For example on Debian Jessie with postfix installed you can do so with symlink:
    ln -s /usr/sbin/sendmail /usr/local/bin/sendmail
    and test it like:
    echo "Test mail" | sendmail -i -f [email protected] [email protected]

Source: https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/blob/master/src/emailer.js#L8
    Note: I know it's an old thread, by I want to make it clear to those who comes here from google, like me.

• Category permissions

2 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    barisB

Thanks for reporting https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/4720

• 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    g0stG

@exodo that helps. Thank you for the response.

• Users stuck on the Logging in page

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    Z

Been experiencing a lot of issues with NodeBB, not much help via support - but one of the most annoying thing so far through testing is that users are stuck on the login page, inputting information and clicking okay keeps them on that page - needing to click the banner to go to the forum page, and then refresh to see and function as normal.

We cannot find out what is causing this issue.

• Css change

Moved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    yariplusY

You could do something like this.

[component="categories/category"] .fa-stack { margin-right: 5px; .fa-circle::before { content: "\0000a0"; width: 24px; background-color: rebeccapurple; display: block; border-radius: 5px; } }

It's kindof a hack, you would need to modify the theme to get real control. Also, there's no way to get the category background.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    mechanixM

Any hint to get this fixed?

• How To Unbind NodeBB?

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

You'll want to find the pid (process id) of the running NodeBB process. Use ps aux | grep node to see all process that are node based.

Then kill it by pid.

e.g.

julian@laptop ~/nothingtoseehere (master) $ ps aux | grep node julian 11381 5.5 1.3 959772 53680 ? Ssl 18:25 0:00 /home/julian/.nvm/versions/node/v4.4.0/bin/node /home/julian/nothingtoseehere/loader.js julian 11396 3.7 0.9 910404 37308 pts/5 Sl+ 18:25 0:00 node ./nodebb log julian 11405 44.0 3.8 1303708 153892 ? Rl 18:25 0:05 /home/julian/.nvm/versions/node/v4.4.0/bin/node app.js julian 11483 0.0 0.0 15192 2260 pts/6 S+ 18:25 0:00 grep --color=auto node

Looks like the NodeBB app is on pid 11405, and the loader is 11381. kill 11381 will kill both (as the app is a child of the loader)

• Best way to wipe and start over?

Solved
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    g0stG

Well, I wiped and started over. Now it appears the latest nodebb import plugin https://github.com/akhoury/nodebb-plugin-import doesn't appear to be supported by 1.0.3.

Sigh... I can't win.

• Admin Account got blocked

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    S

@julian
    Hi , I suppose I just found a bug . Today when I was trying to log in with my admin account I found out it is temporarily blocked . I contacted the other admin and he unblocked me through the admin panel . Apparently what had happened was that I was flagged by users and the other admin had to reset my flags to fix this .How is that possible anyway?

• Hello...

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

Your MongoDB user does not have appropriate privileges to access database info.

• Getting upvoters and downvoters' names

Moved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    P

@Bri you will have to change core I think.

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    1k Views
  • My own domain

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    julianJ

@BuildCup Hello there! We've responded to you via email. Thanks for your business! 😃

• How to add some pictures in the homepage ?

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    ningjiN

Hi i'm able to install, see different categories in the home page.
    Now how can i add some pictures in the homepage ?

If i need to change the code, what file will that be, i do have some node.js experience.

Thanks !

• adding reputation and post count in topic view

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    2k Views
    T

@pichalite I cleared my browser cache and now it works! Thanks for all the help.

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    10k Views
    julianJ

Thanks @rod and @tqwhite for helping @Cyb3r with this 😄

Glad we have you on the community!