Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    597 Posts
    phenomlabP

@frontendjulien Always happy to help.

• 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• How do I get rid of NodeBB?

Moved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    E

@tedbaker said in How do I get rid of NodeBB?:

@etakmit isn't this the 'Site Title' under Settings > General, you can either change the text or turn it off

I was so worried about the icon section that I entirely missed that field. Thank you!

• Registration email links pointing to 127.0.0.1

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    E

And solved. Thanks again @PitaJ

• [Solved] Socket.io 400/500 Errors

1 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    hekH

Done...

Link Preview Image Socket.io 400 errors · Issue #5393 · NodeBB/NodeBB

After spending a few days debugging a problem on our forum/nginx, I've finally found a solution to a massive amount of http 400 errors we've seen when loading the nodebb forum. These problems normally only manifest itself on high load.. ...

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

• Error when trying to start NodeBB

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    PitaJP

@SparaxVenator try running npm install

• Prova de pregunta

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    Octavi RodriguezO

Prova de pregunta

• 0 Votes
    12 Posts
    7k Views
    N

I just tried out 1.4.2 on my docker image. The result: No Google fonts error and it starts up.
    So, whatever caused the problem is gone in 1.4.2. Very nice.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    T

@baris Thank you, it explains a lot. 😁

• Upgraded NodeBB To V1.4.2 Errors

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    C

@pichalite Thank you for the response.

That was most peculiar, but I reset the config.json to be how it was and it stopped having this error.

Besides I still think it's best to check data.config, before extracting data.config.loggedin anyway.

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    E

restarted a few times again nodebb working now thanks 😄

• Issue with Admin Panel since upgrade to 1.4.2

0 Votes
    43 Posts
    18k Views
    M

@PitaJ said in Issue with Admin Panel since upgrade to 1.4.2:

@Michael-Pfaff well you need to reload nginx

That worked! Sorry I'm such a noob, @PitaJ. Very much appreciate your assistance.

• 0 Votes
    14 Posts
    4k Views
    I

@julian I've disabled plugins and now it's working ok. Thanks for your help!

• Weird Stuff in Admin Panel After Upgrading

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    M

Awesome! Thank you @PitaJ!

• Rotating Banner Ad? Can I create one?

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

adblock probably

• Can't post, javascript not loading

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    M

@julian I found this after re-reading the NodeBB NGINX configuration docs

nginx must be on version 1.4.x to properly support websockets. Debian/Ubuntu uses 1.2, although it will work there will be a reduction in functionality.

Previously, in the same doc:

NGINX version v1.3.13 or greater

I'm not sure if that is just a sign of an outdated doc, or if there is actually some type of incompatibility (which apparently doesn't surface everywhere). All I know is that by reverting to 1.4.x, all functionality was restored.

• [SOLVED] nodebb upgrade script freezing

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    L

During the upgrade the following url is fetched: https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto:300,400,500,700

I was getting a 501 http error..
    It was caused by the proxy, and solved by bypassing it.

The upgrade completed successfully.

• Questions

1 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    A

@Aoki are you still having issues with installing it?

• PDF attachments and Photo adding?

1 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    educatorE

@jarey The amount of good replies I get in this nodebb is great. Thank you.

So, I am going with nodebb. Having a positive energy that people will help us in the long run

• Show post edit timestamp

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    J

@pichalite said in Show post edit timestamp:

@JaredBusch you can create a plugin to listen to the filter for getting category posts and modify the data as required.

I have no desire (well not much of one) to become a dev for something like this.

I taught myself how to write VB in 1995 and VB .Net back in the early 2000's and have a number of applications to my credit, but it is not my desired path.

But, if there is nothing out there for this already, I guess it is something I can look into.

• Loading nodebb in my site through iframe

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    P

@Jonathan-O'Donnell232 why don't you modify the theme to add the branding to the header?