Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• NodeBB start request repeated too quickly

1 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    R

Having this issues since yesterday. Whenever I try to start the server:

sudo systemctl start nodebb.service
    sudo systemctl status nodebb.service

I will get NodeBB start request repeated too quickly and the server will fail to start.

This is my systemd unit file.

[Unit] Description=NodeBB forum for Node.js. Documentation=http://nodebb.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ After=system.slice multi-user.target [Service] Type=simple User=nodebb StandardOutput=syslog StandardError=syslog SyslogIdentifier=nodebb Environment=NODE_ENV=production WorkingDirectory=/opt/nodebb ExecStart=/usr/bin/node loader.js --no-daemon --no-silent Restart=always [Install] WantedBy=multi-user.target
  • 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    T

@PitaJ said in Wrong path on startup: no such file or directory, scandir '/opt/app-root/src/build/public/language':

./nodebb build

Thanks, that helped. I documented the steps for S2I here: https://github.com/appuio/nodebb-s2i

• 0 Votes
    14 Posts
    6k Views
    T

I even set to 3 recent replies, my board still display 1 topic on home

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    T

@PitaJ the core chat, thanks.

• how to make a new style

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    T

@Dawid-Glomba hmmm? sorry not sure what you mean 'edition'.

There are docs on creating your own theme:https://docs.nodebb.org/en/latest/themes/create.html

• What URL to Use for SSO

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

I'm not for sure, but it could be https://community.mysite.com?loggedin

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    T

@Giggiux Thanks, was just curious...

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • Error: Cannot find module 'passport-oauth'

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    C

@julian I get the "Congrats! So far so good -- please see server log for details" message, but when I comment out the two lines (as suggested), I get this error:

EXECABORT Transaction discarded because of previous errors.

I have no idea what that means.

After further research, it seems to be an error caused by redis running out of memory.

After increasing the available RAM for my server to 1GB, I'm still getting this error.

After increasing swapfile size to 4GB, I'm still getting this error.

• Cant Access ACP

0 Votes
    23 Posts
    7k Views
    H

@julian I do not think the problem is a DB issue, because i can log in as a user and use all the feature available on the platform but login as admin to the control panel is not possible. getting 504 error BAD gateway.

Please advise.

• NPM Warning During Install

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    S

@PitaJ Thanks! 😉

• Help with Heroku deployment

1 Votes
    1 Posts
    A

Hi,

I have followed the Heroku guide from the docs with no luck. Everything goes fine until I try to connect to the site when Heroku shows Application error page.

Here's Heroku's app log:

2017-03-29T21:22:03.000000+00:00 app[api]: Build succeeded 2017-03-29T21:22:23.566319+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Starting process with command `node loader.js --no-daemon` 2017-03-29T21:22:27.616058+00:00 heroku[web.1]: State changed from starting to crashed 2017-03-29T21:22:27.617327+00:00 heroku[web.1]: State changed from crashed to starting 2017-03-29T21:22:27.607752+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Process exited with status 0 2017-03-29T21:22:31.398032+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Starting process with command `node loader.js --no-daemon` 2017-03-29T21:22:36.001530+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Process exited with status 0 2017-03-29T21:22:36.003776+00:00 heroku[web.1]: State changed from starting to crashed

I'm willing to provide you any information needed.

Akseli

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

@PitaJ said in How Much Customization Required for the SSO Plugin?:

NodeBB is run with the correct cwd.

This is likely OP's issue... incorrect cwd...

• Signing On issue

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

@MBFTOM yes. https://github.com/julianlam/nodebb-plugin-sso-wordpress

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • What Does the SSO Plugin Expect for Oauth2?

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    C

I'm trying to do some Oauth2 integration, and I need to know what a few of these variables are expecting in this part of the code:

oauth2: { authorizationURL: 'https://mywebsite.com/oauth/authorize', <-- Does that look right? tokenURL: '[WHAT GOES HERE?]', clientID: 'CLIENT-ID', clientSecret: 'THE-SECRET' }, // what might userRoute look like?! userRoute: '' // This is the address to your app's "user profile" API endpoint (expects JSON)

Thank you!

• warning in log x from '\' is deprecated

0 Votes
    15 Posts
    3k Views
    R

@PitaJ v1.4.4

0_1490633559949_upload-031effbd-bc0a-4b32-8061-181db8d412f8

• Forum Traffic chart broken?

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    A

@PitaJ
    No, there are no errors in chromes console.
    The problem only happens in the 24h View. The month view works correct.

• Changing socket.io heartbeat interval and timeout

Solved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    G

@PitaJ WOW thanks. Didn't think about that.I'm new with node.js.

• How to achieve this layout?

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    PitaJP

It's much more complicated than we can just explain here. We could do it for you. Contact us at [email protected], and we'll give you a quote.