Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    597 Posts
    phenomlabP

@frontendjulien Always happy to help.

• 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    W

Since some weeks, possibly after upgrading to 1.4.5 the modemailer causes nodebb to restart.
    Does anybody else have that problem?

Here are the log entries:

27/4 06:36:52 [19664] - error: TypeError: this.message.messageId is not a function at MailComposer.compile (/home/forum/nodebb/node_modules/nodemailer/node_modules/mailcomposer/lib/mailcomposer.js:90:18) at module.exports (/home/forum/nodebb/node_modules/nodemailer/node_modules/mailcomposer/lib/mailcomposer.js:7:35) at Nodemailer.<anonymous> (/home/forum/nodebb/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/nodemailer.js:286:24) at Nodemailer._processPlugins (/home/forum/nodebb/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/nodemailer.js:352:16) at Nodemailer.sendMail (/home/forum/nodebb/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/nodemailer.js:280:10) at Object.Emailer.sendViaFallback (/home/forum/nodebb/src/emailer.js:136:21) at /home/forum/nodebb/src/emailer.js:114:14 at fn (/home/forum/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:746:34) at /home/forum/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:1213:16 at /home/forum/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:166:37 at /home/forum/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:706:43 at /home/forum/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:167:37 at Immediate.<anonymous> (/home/forum/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:1206:34) at runCallback (timers.js:666:20) at tryOnImmediate (timers.js:639:5) at processImmediate [as _immediateCallback] (timers.js:611:5) 27/4 06:36:52 [19664] - info: [app] Shutdown (SIGTERM/SIGINT) Initialised.
  • 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    M

I was crating bug to GitHub, but thought that this could be know issue, after upgrade, so thats why added this question first... I did se you managed to do it fist, so I added information to there. I use tags, both 1.4.5 and 1.4.6 has this issue.

https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/5631

• Image Uploads Interrupted - Any ideas?

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    T

I solved this by installing SSL as that allowed the ws connection to work properly through the ISP in question.

• Error: localStorage behaved unexpectedly

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    barisB

This is fixed on master, just pull again.

• Plugins issues

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    A

@PitaJ ah ok. If its nothing to worry about, then it should be fine.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    F

@kacemlight I know it's a very old topic. Just replying because i faced a similar issue. SEO tools pointed out that the heading structure was incorrect i.e the nav bar headings had H3 and content had H2 and H1.

I solved it by creating a barebones plugin and overwrote the tpl file that had the inconsistent heading structure (in my scenario). The path of the file is plugin/static/templates/partials/menu.tpl

• Empty Log

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    BriB

Yep that works, I updated my version here:
    https://gist.github.com/bdharrington7/2599927d41d30f11900f2099b8d8fc64

• How can I create an Admin account manually ?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    frju365F

Thank you very much for your answer. I will see if it works.

• Custom CSS not working

0 Votes
    13 Posts
    4k Views
    C

@Thouv said in Custom CSS not working:

@PitaJ said in Custom CSS not working:

I just want to make sure that every possibility is exhausted.

Can you try turning the Enable Custom CSS toggle off, then saving the page, then turning it back on, then saving the page again? Thanks.

And can you check for any errors in the browser console when on that page?

It worked! Thanks
    Just had to disable, save, and reenable. Weird.

😛 Hi thouv

• Accidentally disabled local user login

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    A

@baris great! thank you. 👍

• nodebb setup takes too long

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

Maybe you're talking about the build step that's at the end of ./nodebb setup? In that case, you could save copies of the build directory as long as you use the same version of NodeBB and plugins for everywhere you're installing it.

• 0 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    barisB

If you are only using redis for cache yes you can just flush it.

• systemd service not working

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    An_dzA

Disregard, I've found the problem. In one of my tries to fix the other bug I ended up writing launcher.js rather than loader.js. 😁 It's all fine now.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    M

So I'n my opinion it is bug that it ignores categories for some people. How to delete those entries in MongoDB?

• Images in signature not working after upgrade to 1.4.6

Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    M

@PitaJ Thanks

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

No, NodeBB doesn't support it. Why not just use multiple databases?

• Unable to login

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    T

Sounds like something changed on the server side. I'd reach out to your host and find out what changed.

• Moving from NodeJS to Nginx

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    PitaJP

@Thouv did you try with nginx still pointed to localhost:4567?

That should work, and also you might want to set "bind_address": "127.0.0.1" in config.json

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    aneeeshpA

Re: How To: Piwik and NodeBB

I tried to use the code mentioned in this topic, but am getting an error in console. Webpage where I added the code is: https://www.mbatious.com/recent

Error:
    _paq.push() was used but Piwik tracker was not initialized before the piwik.js file was loaded. Make sure to configure the tracker via _paq.push before loading piwik.js. Alternatively, you can create a tracker via Piwik.addTracker() manually and then use _paq.push but it may not fully work as tracker methods may not be executed in the correct order. ["setCustomUrl", "https://www.mbatious.com/recent"]

Can anybody help me come out of this?

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    ApxukocA

@BuZz said in "Recent cards" not working, NodeBB 1.4.5:

you need to use v 0.3.1 for nodebb v1.4.5
    npm i [email protected] --save

Thanks!
    It is working!