Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    597 Posts
    phenomlabP

@frontendjulien Always happy to help.

• 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• NPM install dies without specific error

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    W

Thanks I bumped the memory. seems to work now.

• nodebb can not stop

Solved
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    fstdeskF

thank you @julian . Problem fixed.

for other users;

i runned ps aux | grep node and runned kill for number on second line .

thank you again.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

NodeBB (for obvious reasons) requires MongoDB to be running so it can start. So the problem here is MongoDB isn't running, as you've figured out.

If MongoDB won't start via the service handler, check the logs to see what went wrong. They're likely in /var/log/mongodb

• New public file location errors & upload error

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

Then in that case, I would check to make sure the version of Persona you have installed matches the version defined in package.json.

• Alternate Login options

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    M

How to provide alternative login options to users..?

I have the regular Login. I have the sso-fb plugin. I can use the fb plugin.

But I cannot work out how to provide an either/or option on the homepage..?

• 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    5k Views
    fstdeskF

i had same issue and solved it by edit config.json as this

{
    "url": "http://myurl.com",
    "secret": "..................",
    "database": "redis",
    "redis": {
    "host": "127.0.0.1",
    "port": "6379",
    "password": "?????",
    "database": "0"
    }
    }

• ERR value is not a valid float

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    A

When navigating to a thread occassionally an error will appear saying:

ERR value is not a valid float

Any ideas? I haven't done any major reconfiguration recently.
    Furthermore, I got this error in my nodebb log:

node_redis: Deprecated: The ZADD command contains a "null" argument. This is converted to a "null" string now and will return an error from v.3.0 on. Please handle this in your code to make sure everything works as you intended it to.

Any ideas? Clearly it's an issue with my Redis database but I need to know how to fix it as it accompanies weird sorting issues which really are throwing people off and using the site annoying to use.

• Recent Posts Widget

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    M

How can I shorten the length of the post content to say first xx characters..?

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    M

@Giggiux Bully for you 😉

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    fstdeskF

@yariplus said in After changed ip get badway 502 error and nodebb does not start:

Your forum may work, but has no security, anyone can login and delete/steal the database. You need to setup your redis so that it has a password, and that it restricts access to localhost.

@yariplus thank you so much.

• Two-column Persona Categories

Moved Solved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    A

nah, not gonna do this.

• Big profile picture bug after upgrade to 1.4.6

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    M

@PitaJ said in Big profile picture bug after upgrade to 1.4.6:

node.js

don't know.

How can I see this?

• How to use "posts api"

Moved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    A

@yariplus said in How to use "posts api":

{posts.post.user.sso-steam:steamid}

Thank you, yari!

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    M

Can anyone help here? I've not been able to figure anything out past this point.

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    M

Does anyone have any info regarding this? I've checked github but no installation instructions.

I know i've done something wrong here & have had to disable this for now, the Forum was unreachable with what I entered and kept redirecting to my homepage 😳
    Cheers!

• Default Admin Password

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    6k Views
    R

We use ansible to preconfigure the system.

In that case the installation will not pop up.

We noticed that If the DB has no admin in it, one random password is generated. You can find it in the logs.

If there was an admin already in db. It continues to work.

R.

• Time for update to 1.4.6!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    JenklerJ

Any know issues with 1.4.6?

Issues:
    https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/5625 <-- Will this be fixed or do we need to wait for 1.4.7?

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    fstdeskF

Thank you.

• Registration Error

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    hungrybeastH

Nevermind, the spam-be-gone plugin was causing it. Heres what i found in the console.

at new ClientRequest (_http_client.js:52:11) at Object.exports.request (http.js:31:10) at Object.exports.request (https.js:199:15) at module.exports (/opt/nodebb/node_modules/simple-recaptcha-new/index.js:37:23) at Object.Plugin._recaptchaCheck (/opt/nodebb/node_modules/nodebb-plugin-spam-be-gone/library.js:282:3) at /opt/nodebb/node_modules/nodebb-plugin-spam-be-gone/library.js:211:11 at /opt/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:718:13 at async.forEachOf.async.eachOf (/opt/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:233:13) at _parallel (/opt/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:717:9) at Object.async.parallel (/opt/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:731:9) at Object.Plugin.checkRegister [as method] (/opt/nodebb/node_modules/nodebb-plugin-spam-be-gone/library.js:206:8) at /opt/nodebb/src/plugins/hooks.js:120:12 at /opt/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:375:13 at iterate (/opt/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:262:13) at Object.async.forEachOfSeries.async.eachOfSeries (/opt/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:281:9) at Object.async.inject.async.foldl.async.reduce (/opt/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:374:15) at fireFilterHook (/opt/nodebb/src/plugins/hooks.js:112:9) at Object.Plugins.fireHook (/opt/nodebb/src/plugins/hooks.js:93:4) at /opt/nodebb/src/controllers/authentication.js:76:12 at fn (/opt/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:746:34) at /opt/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:1213:16 at /opt/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:166:37

Seems like the recaptcha wasnt coded correctly. Or i didnt set it up correctly

• Redis memory usage

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    Z

From my understanding, Redis keeps the entire forum database in memory?...so if the forum gets large, it sounds like that scales very poorly.

Second the latter part of attis's question. I've set up a trial nodeBB using what I think is "just mongo" and I've seen "just redis" tutorials as well. How do you do this Redis+Mongo mixed setup, and when does that become worth it over just Mongo for a larger board?