Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    597 Posts
    phenomlabP

@frontendjulien Always happy to help.

• 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    A

Hello guys,

Just installed Nodebb to Ubuntu server with Nginx reverse proxy according to the guide (https://docs.nodebb.org/installing/os/ubuntu/).

But on the homepage, I see only three words: "Categories", "Register", "Login". The problem is that I need to create the admin user but registration is impossible due to username validation error. Under username field I can see:

A unique username between and characters. Others can mention you with @username.

And whatever I type, I get:

Username too long

I've tried upgrading and rebuilding assets, nothing seems to help.

No errors seen both in the browser console and in the output of ./nodebb dev

Thank you in advance for your help!

• Permissions for a custom page

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

I don't think so. This is something to bring up on the plugin's Github page.

• 0 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    Valentine SoloV

@pitaj vestacp has several nginx.conf. As I mentioned I edited "site-specific" config in /home/admin/conf/web where vestacp keeps configs for all hosts, inculding ssl and lets encrypt.
    Maybe you mean global nginx.conf which is located in /etc/nginx ? I did no changes in it.

• GRIPING about upgrade path

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    julianJ

@razr-world said in GRIPING about upgrade path:

The upgrade path should be changed so that there is a simple upgrade script that we run which will fetch the new code, diff and apply the changes.

You do realise that you just asked us to rewrite git, right? 😄

However, in any case, you're under no obligation to use git if you don't feel like it. You can download the tarballs here and copy them directly into the destination folder, overwriting files as necessary... although this is not really a supported upgrade step and I have no clue what could go wrong here.

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    K

I can confirm that npm downgrading to npm@4 solves this issue.
    Had the same one.. Maybe it's worth to mention it at the release page.

Thank you @PitaJ

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

@maxpen Glad to hear it! We'll be here if you run into any other trouble with NodeBB.

• Fresh install of 1.6.0

Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    T

@baris Thank you

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    A

make sure you have port 80 and/or 443 open on your firewall. I see 80 is open (I get the "Welcome to Nginx" message). So now you need to make a few changes in your nginx config for it to redirect 4567 to your site on 80/443 (http/https), as currently it is set to the nginx page.

The docs has a config you can use, just make the changes like Pitaj has suggested and for https, you will need a certificate. Lets-Encrypt is free

**Edit to add: Don't forget to restart nginx to use the new config

• Admin login forbidden after fresh install

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    julianJ

Try using digital ocean instead of open shift as we do not provide support for the latter.

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    F

It looks to have fixed after a freshly re run of mongorestore.

Thanks for the support!!

• Default Following Member

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    julianJ

Is your name Tom? Did you create MySpace? he he he...

In any case, looks like you'd want to create a plugin to do this... listening for the hook for user filter:register.complete maybe...

• too connection lost error

0 Votes
    22 Posts
    5k Views
    S

@pichalite said in too connection lost error:

@sanatisharif use "port": ["4567", "4568", "4569"]

in cluster mod I have lots of connection lost err in front end ( for mobile users )

• Installation on OpenShift Online v3

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    B

how to edit to "scripts": { "start": "./nodebb setup && ./nodebb dev" } . where is it. a newbe here . please help.

• Composer error in v1.6.0

Moved
    1 Votes
    2 Posts
    julianJ

Hey there, please report the version of your composer plugin, as well as git rev-parse HEAD in NodeBB. Thanks.

• User Logout from external application

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

The key format is sess:id, where id matches the value found in express.sid

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    asamolionA

So if I wanted to disable it, I would have to write a custom plugin or something?

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • help to header banner

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    DeepSeaD

@Darwin
    Check:
    https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_mediaquery.asp
    and add display:none: to your div to hide in the mobile version (in selected resolution)

Link Preview Image hide div tag on mobile view only?

I'm creating a fluid layout for a site. I'm trying to hide the contents of a <div> or the whole <div> itself in the mobile view, but not the tablet and desktop view. Here's what I've g...

favicon

Stack Overflow (stackoverflow.com)

• NodeBB wont stay up using systemctl

0 Votes
    23 Posts
    6k Views
    T

The new systemctl block in the documentation works wonderfully.

The ONE time that NodeBB went down on my forums, I was on vacation in Mexico. Logging into the server from my phone was atrocious. Now systemctl can do all the work for me 😄

• Users Can No Longer Log In

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    2k Views
    S

@julian said in Users Can No Longer Log In:

@scottalanmiller wow, a rare live look at your site running! 😄

Glad it is resolved! CloudFlare often likes to play dirty with files, even those that shouldn't be cached...

Ha, yeah. So often it just chugs along.