Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    597 Posts
    phenomlabP

@frontendjulien Always happy to help.

• 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP
    You'll want to look into adding them as services. https://docs.nodebb.org/configuring/running/ You need to go to ACP -> General -> Navigation and set the search one to only show for mobile You want the recent cards plugin and to set up a few widgets in the sidebar ACP -> Extend -> Widgets You have to have Registration Type set to Normal
  • How do I make customizations to a plugin

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

What plugin? The best way is to fork it on github.

• Apache clustering

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    D

Is there a supported way of doing Apache clustering, or should I start migrating to nginx?

• 0 Votes
    23 Posts
    8k Views
    julianJ

Also the trailing slash in location /forum/? A mix of both?

• https SSL issue invalid csrf token

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

You can configure it in apache as well 👍

• Slow page loading on DigitalOcean

Solved
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    4k Views
    yariplusY

@dread Oh, it's no problem at all! I was just joking, but thanks for adding the mention!

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

To add, you'll need at least 512mb memory, and a swap partition defined

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

The error suggests the mongo lock file is present so mongo refuses to start up again.

If you're sure mongo isn't running, just delete the lock file.

• Replacing myBB with NodeBB

0 Votes
    13 Posts
    5k Views
    H

@toeirei @Matt-Calsada

got it working, see NodeBB v1.0.3 won't start, error: undefined now nodebb-plugin-import and moving NodeBB Install from one server to another
  • NodeBB v1.0.3 won't start, error: undefined

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    H

@h7 tried on a different Debian 7 (Wheezy) server, to make sure this is a common issue:

Node.js v4.2.2 Redis server v=3.2.11 NodeBB v1.0.3

NodeBB installs again, without errors but the log comes back with the exact same [2458] - error: undefined

npm rm nodebb-plugin-emoji-one npm install [email protected]

fixed that error, now:

info: Time: Sun Oct 08 2017 04:59:32 GMT+0300 (MSK) info: Initializing NodeBB v1.0.3 [outdated] nodebb-plugin-emoji-one installed v1.1.4, package.json requires 1.1.0 warn: One or more of NodeBB's dependent packages are out-of-date. Please run the following command to update them: warn: ./nodebb upgrade [cluster] Child Process (6503) has exited (code: 0, signal: null)

OK, removing the plugin npm rm nodebb-plugin-emoji-one and ./nodebb start worked, NodeBB v1.0.3 running, still can't log-in:

warn: [meta/dependencies] Bundled plugin nodebb-plugin-emoji-one not found, skipping dependency check. [minifier] file not found, node_modules/socket.io-client/socket.io.js [minifier] file not found, node_modules/socket.io-client/socket.io.js info: NodeBB Ready info: Enabling 'trust proxy' info: NodeBB is now listening on: 0.0.0.0:4567 error: /login invalid csrf token error: /login invalid csrf token

using older versions of socket.io:

npm remove socket.io npm remove socket.io-client npm install [email protected] npm install [email protected]

did the trick, NodeBB v1.0.3 running and ready for myBB to NodeBB transition

• Resetting Admin Password

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    PitaJP

@riders If you're okay with completely resetting your forum, you can just change the database name in config.json, or you can drop the old database entirely, which will destroy all of your data. In mongo this would be (assuming the db name is nodebb) mongo nodebb --eval db.dropDatabase().

• Error after updating config.json

Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    R

@pitaj Oh - that's confusing. Well now it's working. Thanks.

• 0 Votes
    17 Posts
    3k Views
    H

pkill -9 node then ./nodebb restart and service nginx restart fixed all problems. It seems a previous NodeBB was still running in memory 😳

@PitaJ thans a lot for the help! Truly amazing app with excellent community support!

• 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    4k Views
    V

@pitaj damn.. that fixed my problem. I didn't know that one has to write the 1:1 url you call in your browser as the config.json url setting..

So instead of:

{
    "url": "http://localhost:4800",
    "secret": "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX",
    "database": "mongo",
    "port": 4800,
    "mongo": {
    "host": "127.0.0.1",
    "port": "27017",
    "username": "nodebb",
    "password": "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX",
    "database": "nodebb"
    }
    }

I wrote:

{
    "url": "http://MYWEBSITE.COM",
    "secret": "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX",
    "database": "mongo",
    "port": 4800,
    "mongo": {
    "host": "127.0.0.1",
    "port": "27017",
    "username": "nodebb",
    "password": "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX",
    "database": "nodebb"
    }
    }

if you use https, of course the url has to be https://...
    1:1 as if you would call it in your browser. thank you very much!

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • After upgrade from 1.5.x to 1.6.0, New Topic does not work

Solved
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    5k Views
    S

@pitaj yes, I tried ./nodebb build several times, but I always used ./nodebb dev to start.

I tried it once more as you said. ./nodebb start aborted with the message to run ./nodebb upgrade. After the upgrade and another ./nodebb start I can post and answer again! 😄

I don't know why an how, but it works again. hopefully not only for a short time. 😉

Thanks for you help!

• 2 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    A

@frgilb I'm not using cloudflare though (mentioned in the other thread you posted).

I haven't gotten around to doing this fix yet... but I will try it, when I have the time. work, work, work 😞

• One Topic Doesn't Go to the End

Solved
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    S

@julian said in One Topic Doesn't Go to the End:

@scottalanmiller Wow, that's quite the odd bug!

We get all the weird stuff 🙂

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    barisB

@michaeltcoelho said in Not asked to input admin username and password on ./setup:

29/9 12:36:48 [238] - info: [build] plugin static dirs build completed in 4.017sec
    Killed

Looks like the build is killed, possibly due to not having enough memory, try setting some swap and try again.