Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.8k Topics 26.5k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ
    One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy. Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active. After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser. Sign up to SendGrid Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard. Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time. SendGrid should now be working for your forum. [image: youtubelogo.png] Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB
  • NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

83 Topics
    601 Posts
    Z
    not sure the plugin worked for firefox. saw a-z in the sort icon. when i used it, i expected the topics in the category would be sorted a-z. they werent
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE
    I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues. I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects! Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.
  • Image embed plugin

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    D
    Which ones of those makes the link preview link like this ... It's nodebb-plugin-iframely https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/
  • Disabling Chat

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    SimosS
    @PitaJ said in Disabling Chat: @Simos you should be able to add the same IF...ENDIF around that code as well. Would you mind opening an issue on the persona repo so we can fix this permanently? I'm new to nodeBB so i've to better understand how it work but I suppose it generate sound options array somewhere and than it's used in template, if i use IF...ENDIF on that block i disable all sound notification options.
  • Only see topics that you create yourself

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP
    Not at the moment without a custom plugin.
  • Creating topics with API ignoring permissions/privelges

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP
    It's not possible to do exactly what you say, but it is possible to accomplish a similar thing by creating a NodeBB plugin which implements the API endpoint you want, instead of using the built-in API.
  • Registered Users double group

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    SimosS
    @PitaJ how i can check db ? I'm new to redis should be a mistake with a previous installation using the same db ?
  • Notify all users by default when admin posts

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    B
    Is there a way to make users automatically follow all admin users when they join a nodebb forum? Or anything similar that will result in everyone getting a notification when an admin makes a post? For reference I'm on v1.9.2.
  • Heroku deployment

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    G
    It's been 12 hours, since I downgraded to a previous commit with only Mongo mLab configured. I have not experienced issues yet. What is the recommended method to install plugins? Is there a way to persist uploaded images and files on Heroku?
  • This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • Everybody has the same IP address

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    2k Views
    D
    @julian said in Everybody has the same IP address: Yeah, the idea is you should be using a reverse proxy Yes. to handle traffic and NodeBB should be listening on port 4567... Yes if it's 4567 but port is not in url, then trust_proxy is automatically enabled. Not sure if I follow this. But the logic in the code is that if it's any port aside from 80 and 443 then "trust proxy" is enabled. Or if "trust_proxy" is set to true in the config, then "trust proxy" is enabled.
  • Can't display custom fields

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    D
    Solved by myself, this documentation could be a bit updated for easier implementation, for those who will the same problem, let me give necessary steps: Install the plugin Rebuild then restart NodeBB Add some custom fields You can edit them by going to edit profile and "Change Extra" To display them in user profile, in case if you're using Person theme, go to nodebb-theme-person -> templates -> account -> profile.tpl Paste the code wherever you want it do be visible <!-- IF customFields.length --> <div class="custom-fields"> <!-- BEGIN customFields --> <div class="custom-field-item"> <span class="field-label">{customFields.name}</span> <span class="field-value">{customFields.value}</span> </div> <!-- END customFields --> </div> <!-- ENDIF customFields.length --> Rebuild then restart NodeBB
  • nodebb-plugin-category-sections - v1.10.2

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    B
    Still no luck, I've submitted a issue on the bug tracker.
  • Purge all cache - HOW?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    julianJ
    If you rebuild NodeBB assets, it should regenerate the cache buster and cause all clients to reload the assets (as the cache-busting query-string will have changed)
  • Upgrade from 1.10 to 1.11

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    barisB
    It is fixed on latest master, do a git pull and run upgrade again.
  • Global Chat rooms.

1 Votes
    8 Posts
    1k Views
    Y
    @PitaJ said in Global Chat rooms.: node node_modules/nodebb-plugin-global-chat/remove-chat-rooms thanks, its working
  • Can´t login

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    maelM
    yep im using the ip to access, i have a domain already but im using it for the original site (testing to move the site to nodeBB )
  • Segmentation fault (core dumped) during install/setup of NodeBB v1.10.2

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ
    Thanks for following up!!
  • Error during upgrade

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    barisB
    Nope that upgrade can be run multiple times without side effects.
  • HTTPS with External Let's Encrypt Certificate

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    The WormsT
    you use proxy hosted externally ?
  • I need online user avatar on forum stats

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    T
    Hello. How to add avatar user instead of the name? [image: rUs15ar.png] I
  • Can group name have translation?

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    J
    Hi Devs, Is it possible to use translation in group names, so for example if I have "developers", internally (that is, in the database), the group is called "developers", however in the user homepage, or for example in mentions the translation will be used. Thank you! JJ.