Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    N

Hi @julian

Yes, also was added a new issue there.

Link Preview Image [plugin/iframely] Could not parse embed! TypeError: Cannot read property 'thumbnail' of undefined · Issue #32 · NodeBB-Community/nodebb-plugin-iframely

I have iframely installed and run like a charm. But iframely plugin get errors on all posts I have youtube video. Of course I was disabled all youtube plugins. I get these errors: 13/8 03:27:55 [3631] - error: [plugin/iframely] Could not...

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

Thank you so much

• 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    2k Views
    a632079A

Have you tried run ./nodebb setup or ./nodebb build? It seems that it did't build the static files.

• Forum will no longer reply or start new posts.

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    ShardS

Finally got a chance to come back to this.

Well.

That was mind numbingly stupid.

So doing a ./nodebb reset -a probably shouldn't also disable the default composer. 🙂

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    B

i cannot use these pictures
    they return 404
    however there are pictures in the folder /xxxxxxx/public/uploads/category/
    who can help me ???

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    M

Can somebody help me.

I want delete all of the avatars and replace some of them by the username in the persona theme. but I don't know exactly where and how to do it.

1. I want the avatars be gone from the post.

from this
    0_1502493095703_6f835bb1-df1f-471e-9cda-f9f80dae6039-image.png

to this
    0_1502493203327_c013ef04-ce8c-4fa8-8389-89870a73d324-image.png

How do I do that? if I use display: none; the avatars will go away. But the text will not move to the left as I want it to.

2. On the recent page I want the avatars replaced by the username.

From this
    0_1502493427227_f9eb5ce7-0699-4560-a104-23b88fab5690-image.png

To this
    0_1502493616301_fd995960-0125-4d62-b7e2-a2a7ef1c3398-image.png

3. In the notification-bar I want the avatars be removed and the text go to the left.

From this
    0_1502493718154_519a67e8-7a49-4cc2-9ddd-a15c9027169d-image.png

To this
    0_1502494857523_057c979f-84da-42e5-9a8f-55c17855f0a5-image.png

4. All the avatars removed from the chat and text to the left.

From this
    0_1502494005193_09d25584-ca2e-48ba-8666-f5c4d5731a52-image.png

To this
    0_1502494168718_b723fdd5-905e-4d65-ab97-29e38a46f008-image.png

(only for dutch people) Als je Nederlander bent, niet letten op de tekst ik heb veel wierdo's op mijn forum :')

5. On the profile page I want the timeline removed.

From this
    0_1502494332944_20f9483c-93d3-4f12-871e-37658d985148-image.png

To this
    0_1502494370836_7ae75081-9033-46f9-a54b-44af8343399b-image.png

The rest I did removed with display: none; in the CSS but the things above didn't work that way. So please I need a little help.

My English is not very good, because of that I make pictures so I can tell better what I try to say.

• NodeBB installation - MongoDB error

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    M

@julian Ah i see, any idea how i can fix that? I've followed the guide at https://docs.nodebb.org/installing/os/ubuntu/ and created the users exactly like the guide said.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

Right now I don't believe this functionality exists for the plugin. However you can definitely post a reply to that issue to show your interest in it 😄 Then when the issue gets closed you will be notified.

• Apache: How to remove port number from URL

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    4k Views
    BartVBB

The easiest solution (and probably also the best for SEO purposes) is to put your forum on a subdomain, i.e. forum.example.com

If you want everything on the same server it really depends on the rest of your site. Are these real files that you want to serve? Are these files generated by a CMS? Etc.

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    Z

So I'm theming the list of topics in a category and I encountered some unexpected behavior regarding when to use something like {topics.title} vs {../title}.

The relevant code for category.tpl is this:

<!-- BEGIN topics --> <!-- IMPORT partials/category/topic.tpl --> <!-- END topics -->

And inside partials/category/topic.tpl:

{../title} {../postcount} {../viewcount} {../teaser.user.username}

API data:

{ "name":"General Discussion", "title":"General Discussion", "description":"A place to talk about whatever you want", "topics":[ { "title":"Hey now", "postcount": 3, "viewcount": 3, "user":{ "username":"testuser" }, "teaser":{ "content":"<p><a class=\"plugin-mentions-a\" href=\"http://localhost:4567//uid/7\">@testuser</a> Does this notify you?</p>\n", "user":{ "username":"zombachu" } } }, { "title":"test", "postcount":23, "viewcount":8, "user":{ "username":"zombachu" }, "teaser":{ "user":{ "username":"zombachu" } } } ] }

Why does ../whatever in topic.tpl give me the data in the topic that I'm asking for, but {../title} give me the category's title instead of the topic's title? {topics.whatever} works for everything too, including title but it feels weird to me referring to a variable that doesn't exist in topic.tpl.

I understand that .. typically means going up a level/directory but in Persona's categories listing they do the same in partials/categories/item.tpl. Am I doing something incorrectly or is this a bug?

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    Z

I also encountered this problem, before filling out the service IP to domain name after the return to normal

• Unable to change Forum Base URL

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    O

It seems to be working fine now and the domain had changed, however now if I access the forum via the old url (http://maguss.nodebb.com) there is that message about trying to reconnect.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    Z

Hi,Guys of this problem you solve it, how to solve

• Activates plugins, delete plugins

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    N

@pichalite thanks.

• Digital Ocean - Nodebb setup trouble

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    M

@teh_g I changed the nginx configuration to what is displayed in the docs, which now works. Nginx is working fine and im using Node v.8.2.1 - I've tried using 6.11.2 which didn't work for me at all. It wouldn't let me use the npm install --production command without crashing, which 8.2.1 will.

• 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    J

@julian said in Anyone here able to help with an NGINX config issue?:

@Joykiller We're on a pretty old version of Ghost actually 😞

0.7.1 😬

Yeah thats what I thought.

• v1.5.3 Can't mention groups?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    M

@baris said in v1.5.3 Can't mention groups?:

Check the ACP page for the plugin. You should be able to enable group mentions there.

Thanks, @baris! I knew there was something I was overlooking and forgot @mentions were actually a plugin.

• Restricting view

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    M

Is it possible for Nodebb to be in control of wordpress privileges?

I have a page on my wordpress website, with some iframe/php on, but I would like this to be inaccessible unless the user has registered to my Forum initially.

Can this be done?