Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    597 Posts
    phenomlabP

@frontendjulien Always happy to help.

• 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• global header disappearing

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    C

ver 1.70

global header is showing just in the start, if i press something else its disapper

• Display Automatically multiple group badges

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    I

@psychobunny I hate to dig up this old topic but I'm interested in allowing users to display up to two badges in their posts as well.
    I'm pretty new to NodeBB and am not sure where to start make changes. Could you point me in the right direction?
    Thanks!

• Static Legal & About Pages etc.

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    S

Thanks appreciated

• Duplicate posts importer-phpbb

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    A

@julian said in Duplicate posts importer-phpbb:

NodeBB to my knowledge properly keeps count of topics and posts... if it doesn't, please do let us know 😉

Seems not ok if i change values in database, it keeps the wrong count in all stats 😢

• dbsearch problem clearing index for reindexing

Solved
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    1k Views
    A

Hi and thanks @baris,

Just switched to v.1.7.0 and it works like a charm 🙂

• Slick Theme Bugging in 1.7.0

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    S

Thanks much appreciated!

• cant restart site on iis

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    PitaJP

node loader.js --no-daemon might work then

• cant install plugins on iis

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

The EPERM error signifies a permissions or privileges error, you may want to address this as it is not a NodeBB issue.

• Static Images for a Carousel

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    S

Hi guys,

Sorry to bother you but I've searched and can't find anything on this. Where can I store static images files and load them into a carousel with links when NodeBB is running?

• Bootstrap Carousel

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    S

Thanks much appreciated

• Configuring duration of Notification Alerts

Unsolved
    2 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    F

@baris @julian these guys are awesome and the most helpful team ever! Thanks!

We are trying our best to support node bb and take it to next level.

• 0 Votes
    12 Posts
    3k Views
    C

found solution

<iisnode enableXFF="true" />

Link Preview Image Run NodeJs on iis Tutorial — Steemit

install : nodejs - iis - iisnode - URL Rewrite - setup : add your site to iis and map it… by convertball

favicon

Steemit (steemit.com)

• change password Faild with reverse proxy

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    yariplusY

What is not working? Are you receiving an error? Are there any errors in the nodebb log file?

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    G

Thanks for the super fast reply!

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    PitaJP

@guts I meant no offense, I was just quickly providing a resource in the case that you hadn't looked at it before. Also, the docs that @yariplus linked are the outdated ones, whereas the ones I linked are more up-to-date.

Hi, I use Litespeed actually for my other domains and they are on the same server so can I delete the config.json file in this case?

I don't know anything about lightspeed, but I can tell you that config.json is completely separate from the reverse proxy you decide to use. config.json is generated by ./nodebb setup and is located in the nodebb directory.

Do I have to use Ngynx in addition of Litespeed?

Probably not, but you'll have to look up how to do the same things that nginx does when using our example config files and apply that to Lightspeed.

I already have a database but where do I have to specify it during the setup?

If you run ./nodebb setup after deleting config.json, it will ask you for settings for your database.

How do I delete the config.json file?

rm /path/to/nodebb/config.json

My apologies but it becomes hard to follow... I followed a tuto on Youtube by entering some commands via SSH but this becomes hard to do so if someone can paste an exemple, it will be great and it will help.

An example for what? Unfortunately it's difficult to reduce installation into quick examples.

• Leaderboard on home page?

1 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    yariplusY

Do you have a repo or code to show?

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    zipangZ

@pitaj Thanks a lot : that really makes much more sense now.

I allready had deployed mailgun as a service through the use of an API key and that's what i was looking for !
    Now that my domain has been created in the mailgun admin pannel and verified through the propagation of specific DNS records, i can confirm that the SMTP credentials are working and that the mails are being sent !

These clarifications were very helpful indeed ! 👍

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • nginx reverse proxy nodebb

Solved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    PitaJP

Yes, the url in config.json should be equal to exactly the URL at which you access your site. It usually shouldn't be localhost or an IP address.

• Modify only category list

Moved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    C

than you @pichalite, i think i will use material theme