Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• new topic button dosent work

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    J

i give you the link of the forum https://forum.civilitas.xyz/

• How to install NodeBB in Openshift v3

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    A

Hi All,

Is anyone can assist me please

• Moving topic from one Category to another

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    E

Thank you, @baris

GitHub issue: https://github.com/julianlam/nodebb-plugin-support-forum/issues/7

• NodeBB Installation Tutorial Question

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

If you don't know how to edit files from the command line you're gonna have a hard time.

Anyways you can use nano to do it:

sudo nano /etc/mongod.conf
  • Question - on registrations

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    J

@julian Yeah could of been an older bug, I've not yet updated so will let you know. Thanks for replying so quickly btw.

• 1 Votes
    2 Posts
    F

i am wondering this too. perhaps an easy way to create drop down from the ACP would be great.

• Server

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    J

@pitaj

Oh nice, have you any traffic Spikes tested? How would you scale if you need to? 1 extra Server with the same specs?

• How do I remove the port from domain?

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    DukeD

Sounds like apache or some other web server might already be running on that port.

ps aux | grep apache

• Disable acc info

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    2k Views
    D

Is there a way to disable the page account info? So users are not able to see their previous bans, comments, etc.

Is there something which can make this so only moderators + Admins can see this?

• import smf to nodebb

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    J

@julian well I was looking for a help right now. Already paid for server and domain. And looking for Adsense so that I can earn what I've invested right now. Thanks for contacting though but I am not looking for paid service right now.

• How do I configure NodeBB setup for Google Cloud VM?

Solved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    Yaşar Baturalp ArtarY

@duke said in How do I configure NodeBB setup for Google Cloud VM?:

If you cannot answer these questions yourself then I suggest you install virtualbox on your local machine and get nodebb working locally but following the docs below. Once you are successful with this, you will have learned alot and can then try and deploy on Google infrastructure.

I know you want to deploy straight to production but my way will be quicker in the long run. The next question you will have will be regarding NGINX and how to get it running on port 80. The answers to all your questions are in the docs. The docs are very easy to follow.

Link Preview Image Ubuntu (Recommended) - NodeBB Documentation

favicon

(docs.nodebb.org)

<quote>
    I can create the website by using 127.0.0.1 IP but the connection is refused by google's internal IP
    (127 is a local ip, you need to provide your internet IP here)

"url": "I typed here my domain which is connected to Google's external IP",
    "secret": "the key",
    "database": "mongo",
    "mongo": {
    "host": "Google's internal IP", (should be 127.0.0.1)
    "port": "I couldnt find this out?", (4567)
    "username": "Is this the nodebb user or the user I created for admin database?", (nodebb user)
    "password": "Password", (mongo password for Nodebb database)
    "database": "nodebb"
    </quote>

Done 🙂

• live editing theme

1 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    tabyoutoT

you are right, I saw the grunt file and using the grunt 👍

• Upvoting/Downvoting

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    D

Thank you ❤ I love u long time 😄

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • Can't bind to port on Heroku

Solved
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    B

Alright, upgraded all the way up to 1.7.1 and it did fix the issue, thank you very much for your help, the forum is now working fine on the latest version of a Heroku hobby plan.

• Import a nodebb forum

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    frju365F

Hello,
    I've created a forum to replace an old phpbb forum. Many of the old users want me to import old posts/thread to the new one. So, I want suggestions how I can do that. Perhaps manually if it's a good solution.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    frju365

• Upgrade error

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    barisB

Run npm i commander on 1.7.x and try again.

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • themes does not load and buttons does not work

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

NodeBB address in use, exiting... Error: listen EADDRINUSE 0.0.0.0:4567

This usually means that NodeBB is already running. Use ./nodebb stop and if you still have the issue look up "kill process on port" with a search engine.